Since Edison and Houdini mostly wore dark suits, those costumes were easily taken care of.
For the General's uniform, I thrifted a grey men's suit coat to upcycle. I shortened the sleeves and body. The coat had gold buttons on it to begin with, so I removed them and saved them to use later.
I cut an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of craft felt in half and sew the pieces end to end. Then I sewed the yellow felt to the underside of the up-turned color. Once I rearranged the gold buttons the coat looked like this:
Four of the buttons fell off during rehearsal, so I sewed on replacements, and another fell off during the performance. I guess I need more work on my button sewing technique :)
I loved this opportunity to sew for one of my sons :)
However, this project has made it painfully obvious that outside of piecing a quilt, my sewing skills are all but nonexistent. I would like to change that, so I can sew more things for my family. Perhaps even conquer my fear of sewing clothing :)